Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sing Me a New Song

If you read my other blog The City Chroma, you've heard that the past few weeks have been insanely busy for me. I've also gone through a lot of change—my bestfriend got married, I ended a two-and-half-year relationship, and my family realized that my middle brother is pretty sick and needs some special care. On top of all that I packed my car full to bursting with everything I would need for summer camp and the two weeks leading up to it. Half of my mornings usually consisted of me trying to find that one dress buried somewhere among all the bags in my trunk. 

So I finally arrived here (Maranatha Bible & Missonary Camp), took a deep breath, and felt my world begin to crumble. So much change at once. It might sound like I'm bragging to say that I am really effective at managing my emotions, but it's true. I'm pretty good at looking them in the face and then moving on. And the last thing in the world I wanted was to be that girl you just met at camp who's crying all the time because of some crisis she can't deal with. But man, those three changes I listed above really hit me hard. [I would go into more detail about Adam and Mack but since the stories are personal to them, I don't think it's fair of me to share. (But you can read about Emily's gorgeous wedding here.) Just trust me when I say it's some rough stuff.]

Thankfully, God is on my side. I realized that the phone call from Logan and then my dad about Mack was a spiritual attack because it came when my Teen Counseling team was kicking off the summer. Through that call I was able to share my testimony and be vulnerable with the other people I would be leading with this summer. I was uncomfortable crying in front of a lot people I didn't know that well but it was comforting to have them jump in and pray for me.

Another plus is that Maranatha is beautiful and peaceful. There's beaches, forests, sandy trails, and open fields to wander and explore. I've already found several places to go on my own when I want to dance, sing, or just think. I've also been faithful with my quiet time every morning (something I've really struggled with enjoying in the past) and gotten a lot of peace and joy from my time with the Lord.

Thinking about the difficulties I'm wrestling with, I'm amazed at the calm now placed over me. I love the line, "Nations fall when you speak, and you have spoken over me, I am tired of giving in so easily," by Bethany Dillon. I feel really secure despite the calamity in my life. And I'm getting more and more excited every day about the official start of camp. (More about that later.) Thank you Father for your protection and provision.

boardwalk to Lake Michigan

I'm ready for a new stage of life and a new song to lead me on. I've been hearing it faintly for a while but as the enemy attacks me, I know I will learn it even better.

More updates and pictures soon!
Kendra

1 comment:

  1. Kendra, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. You are such a strong woman. I know if all that happened to me I'd be such a wreck. It is so encouraging to see how you are handling yourself and your reliance on God. I wish I was the same way.

    ReplyDelete